At Westgate Primary School we teach the Protected Characteristics though our curriculum. We specifically address the characteristics through PSHE, RE and SRE lessons as well as through topics, assemblies and stories.
We promote the Protected Characteristics. The Quality Act became law in 2010, protecting everyone in Britain from discrimination, harassment and victimisation. Under the Act there are 9 characteristics;
- Gender reassignment,
- Religion or belief,
- Marriage or civil partnership,
- Sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity.
It is important that all pupils gain an understanding of the world they are growing up in and learn how to live alongside and show respect for a diverse range of people.
Our Aims are to;
- Promote equality of opportunity in schools and prevent discrimination.
- Teach children about the Equality Act 2010.
- Create a positive culture in the school where all groups of people are welcome.
- Teach children to feel comfortable in themselves while recognising and celebrating difference and diversity in others.
- Prepare children to leave primary school happy and excited about living in a community full of difference and diversity.
- To contribute positively to society and life in Britain as they grow up