Year 1 Writing Examples
In this page, you will find some examples of what is expected of Year 1 writers who are meeting all the age-related requirements. SCROLL DOWN to find out what to expect from your children and some of the reasons why this is expected at Year 1. All the examples below have been are completed independently having spent previous lessons building up and practising writing skills.
Why is this writing at the age-related expectation (ARE) for the end of Year 1?
- Simple sentences that are relevant to the topic and flow into each other.
- Finger spaces between words.
- Some sentences have a full stop and capital letter.
- Most of the year 1 common exception words are spelt correctly. Children use their taught phonics skills to attempt to spell other words.
- Writing is legible with letters on the line and most letters formed correctly.