Year 2 Writing Examples
In this page, you will find some examples of what is expected of Year 2 writers who are meeting all the age-related requirements. SCROLL DOWN to find out what to expect from your children and some of the reasons why this is expected at Year 2. All the examples below are from "extended writing" sessions, which are generally over two lessons and are completed independently having spent previous lessons building up and practising writing skills.
Why is this writing at the age-related expectation (ARE) for the end of Year 2?
- They can spell common words correctly.
- Use words like next, soon, first, after, that and finally to create coherence between sentences.
- They are able to write about real events.
- Use past and present tense mostly correctly.
- Join sentences with: and, but, because, so and when.
- They can attempt spelling unknown words using phonics.
- Form capitals in the correct size to other letters.
- Use spacing between their words.
- Use capital letters, full stops and question marks correctly.